What to Look For in a Contractor
Looking for a competent basement finishing company or contractor can be difficult if you do not know what to look for or ask. To feel more comfortable that you are dealing with a reputable contractor, we suggest you inquire about the following:
- How long have they been in the basement finishing business? You want them to be in business long enough to service their warranty.
- This brings up the next point, what is their warranty on workmanship and structural materials? A common warranty is one year, but; the longer the better.
- Are they a licensed and insured contractor?
- Will they provide the proper building permit? A building permit is essential for your safety and the resale of your home.
- Do they provide assistance with basement design? If so, what kind of design experience do they have?
- Do they allow you to visit completed projects or projects in progress? If possible, it is always a good idea to see their work.
- Do they have a project superintendent or manager? If so, how often will they be on the project site? Are they available for communication? Do they provide you with tentative weekly schedules?
- Do they have fixed price contracts? Is the contract clear and inclusive?
- Do they provide you with a list of all materials to be used in your basement?
- Do they have a fixed mark-up or credit for changes?
- Do they supply protection for existing finishes?
- Do they provide a thorough, final cleaning?
- Will they provide lien releases for their subcontractors?
- How long will it take them to complete your project? This is important to prospective clients with a limited timeframe.
- How adaptable are they to changes and modifications during your project?
- Do they have at least 15-20 recent references